What are some chores that young children can do?
Little ones of all ages can take an active part in caring for your home.
Chores for children Ages 2+
- Put dirty clothes in hamper.
- Help sort dirty laundry.
- Put dirty clothes into washer.
- Help remove clean clothes from dryer.
- Learn & begin to put own toys away.
- Put trash into trashcan.
- Help unpack & put away groceries.
- Help clear or set table (using non-fragile items).
- Dust furniture with dry cloth.
Chores for children Ages 4+
- Help dry dishes.
- Learn to make bed.
- Help water garden.
- Pull weeds in garden.
- Help parent or adult with cooking (measuring, scooping, pouring).
- Learn to sweep & begin sweeping up messes.
- Clean windows with a rag & non-toxic cleaner.
- Wipe baseboards or small spots on floors.
- Scoop feed for chickens, goats or other animals around your farm.
- Learn to vacuum.
- Pick out clothing for next day.
Chores for children Ages 6+
- Fold clothing.
- Empty small trash cans around the home.
- Make bed.
- Sweep/vacuum room.
- Set & clear table at mealtime.
- Help prepare lunch for school.
- Help with opening or closing chicken coop.
- Learn to feed & water house pets.
- Clean room regularly.
- Get dressed without adult assistance.
Chores for children Ages 8+:
- Take trash out.
- Take out compost.
- Give animals water.
- Wash dishes.
- Help wash the car/truck/farm equipment.
- Rake leaves or clear yard of debris.
- Wash & dry laundry.
- Clean bathroom.
- Organize/sort cupboards, drawers or other small areas.
- Inventory pantry/make shopping list.
Be patient when teaching young children new chores.
Regardless of age, chores will take a period of adjustment for everyone. For kid and parent alike, expect to go through a “trial” or “training” period. Be sure to be patient during this period and take time to teach; your child is likely to mess up and make mistakes and can’t be expected to just know how to do a chore. Forget that these simple jobs are second nature to you and teach each chore in simple, easy to understand steps. It will take time and commitment, but in the end will prove 110% worth it, saving you energy and frustration.