Having a family definitely isn’t cheap. Instead of cutting out the fun, cut out the cost of fun by trying one of these fun, thrifty activities next time you’re looking for something to do!
- Have a scavenger hunt! Kids and adults will enjoy hunting down treasure. Hide everyday items or a long-forgotten toy for kids. Try it indoors or out.
- Make a bird feeder. Combine bird seed with discarded bacon or sausage grease and mold around a piece of string. Hang in a tree and enjoy the view of birds stopping to snack.
- Read the newspaper. You can do it online, or use a paper copy delivered to your home or library. There’s no such thing as too young to know the news. Just be sure to be age-appropriate when discussing topics.
- Go to the theater in your own dining room! Plan a meal as a family and have everyone choose their own “performance.” Mom or dad can share a story, kids can write their own play or read a one-of-a-kind poem. There are no rules, so just dive in!
- Go foraging. Go for a walk in the woods and hunt for wild edibles, decorative flowers or sheds. Spend time talking about the sights you see and enjoying nature together.
What are you money saving tips for family activities? Share your suggestions in the comments!